One of my first faux finishing jobs 12 years ago was this gold leaf ceiling (I am cringing a little posting this…..but 12 years ago…this house was BEAUTIFUL!!! The chandelier was not yet installed for the photo!).
The designer was asking me to duplicate a high end wallpaper. Parts of the purple base color was supposed to peak thru the leaf arrangement. Wow that is gold in the picture!!
I was such a newbie back then….I had no idea how hard working above your head was. I had no idea how much work ceilings were!!!! But we learned how to apply leaf reaaaaaaaaaaal fast.
Fast forward 11 – 12 years, and in the last year or so, we’ve done another 5 or 6 SILVER leaf jobs! Whats up with that??????
Check out this amazing upscale hair salon we just leafed….
The walls were gorgeous!
Here is a closeup!
And a ceiling last week for a new model home on the spring parade in a few weeks….
Here are a few of my leafing tips:
- For a big job….don’t buy the leaf from Hobby Lobby/Michael’s….you can order it online. I think my most recent purchase was from Golden Leaf Products. I buy the imitation leaf….not the real stuff. Who can afford that??
- You will paint your base color on first. That’s the color that will “peek” through the leaf. Then apply 1 or 2 coats leafing size (buy at the same place you get the leaf).
- You lay each square of leaf down one at a time. Grab from the corners. Or pick up each square with the wax sheet that is behind it. Or use baby powder on your hands. It’ going to want to stick to you!
- It is fragile, it will blow with ceiling fans, etc.
- When all the leaf is up, use a sock or soft rag to burnish it and get off the little flingies! They will be flying EVERYWHERE! (ps….not good to inhale if you are pregnant!)
- You can topcoat it or glaze it or leave it as is!
- WARNING: if you are a perfectionist….this finish is not for you. Its hard to get straight. Especially when you are trying to make it tilt back and forth….yet be straight. Leaf has a mind of its own. It makes a HUGE mess. And working over your head is not for the faint of heart.
If you really want to to try leafing, start on a small project like the trim on this furniture that we painted. Read all about that project here!
Or, go for a bigger project like this dresser from My Champagne Taste blog!
Then the ceiling is the limit!
In other news…. this is my view from my home office this morning. Ahhhhhhhhh…..love it! 2nd blizzard in a week. I am ridiculously giddy.
You getting any snow????
Linking to Funday Monday!