Looking for a healthier version of a classic comfort food? Mr. Magic makes the best Eggplant Lasagna! It’s soooooo stinkin’ tasty (and I don’t feel so guilty having seconds-haha!)
Follow the recipe below or watch Mr. Magic make it live on Facebook!
Feel free to pin this recipe so you can come back to it later!
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 Eggplants
- 1 9 x 13 pan for lasagna
- 2 lbs. Italian sausage you can use Turkey Sausage as a healthier option
- 4-5 small carrots diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 Red pepper diced
- 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms diced
- 1 handful of fresh chopped spinach
- 2 tbs. of minced garlic
- 3 tbs. of Italian seasoning
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 25 oz. jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 2 lbs. lbs. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz. olive oil
- 4 oz. Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice the eggplant. Lengthwise for more traditional, Mr. Magic prefers round for easier cutting.
- Brush both sides of the sliced eggplants and bake in a 350 degree oven until they turn a nice shade of brown. The thinner the slices the easier they burn so keep an eye on them.
- Once browned remove from the oven and set aside. (Don't turn the oven off.)
- Mix 1 egg, ricotta cheese and 1 oz Italian seasoning together and set aside for later.
- In a large skillet brown the 2 lbs of Italian sausage. (Once cooked thoroughly remove the sausage but keep the renderings (oil)).
- Add the mix of diced veggies and garlic to the skillet and cook over med-high heat.
- If the mix is too dry add the olive oil.
- Add the remaining Italian seasoning.
- Saute for 5-10 mins until the onion is translucent.
- Add the diced mushrooms and chopped spinach sauteing for another 5-7 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover the bottom of the lasagna pan with a thin coating of pasta sauce.
- In a large bowl add the Italian sausage, remaining pasta sauce and the veggie mix.
- Stir until all ingredients are well coated with sauce (Note: If the mix has too much moisture add the parmesan cheese to absorb.)
- Layer the eggplant covering the bottom of the lasagna dish but not overlapping each other.
- Spoon a layer of the meat and veggie mix.
- Spread the ricotta and egg mix.
- Cover thoroughly with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 14-17 until the desired layers of lasagna are achieved or you run out of mix.
- Cover with a nice layer of mozzarella cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350 for about 30 min or until the cheese is melted thoroughly.
- Remove foil and bake for 10-15 min until the cheese is a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15-20 min before attempting to cut.
- Enjoy 🙂
Note: In the Facebook Live, he made half a recipe and adjusted accordingly.